In the lead-up to the bicentenary of St George's Church in 2019, and with the church expected in the next few years to be elevated to the status of a cathedral for the Upper North of Malaya, it is proposed that a new organ be commissioned for St George's to replace the 1899 church organ that was destroyed by looters in 1941 during the Japanese Occupation.
Built by the East India Company, St George’s Church was the first Anglican Church constructed in South East Asia. Plans for the Church and selection of the site, were approved by Governor William Petrie in 1816. Work began in 1817 and was completed in time for the celebration of Devine Service on Christmas Day, 1818. So began the 1st life of the Church.